A history as rich as our colors
Remember when family-owned companies set the standard for service? Today, the grandson of General Color’s founder makes sure the company doesn’t stray from its customer-service roots, even as the company’s offerings grow.
1938 – George C. Gartner founds General Color as a manufacturer of ceramic stains and pigments.
1959 – General Color adds production of dry color pigments for use in thermoplastic resins. With knowledge and expertise in color and a strategic location in Minerva, Ohio, this diversification proved to be one of great foresight.
1971- General Color expands by adding a 90,000-square-foot building and ten acres for its growing Plastic Colors Division.
1972 – Color Concentrates are added to General Color’s offerings.
1982 – An expanded Research Development and Quality Control Laboratory is added for the company’s growing plastic customer base. General Color also introduces its X-Series as a universal concentrate.
1992 – A 57,000-square-foot shipping and receiving warehouse is completed.
1996 – The company introduces High Load Color Concentrates for the plastics industry.
1998 – A new high-capacity extruder line goes on line, bringing the total number of extruders to nine.
2001 – Keith W. Gartner purchases General Color, becoming the third generation to lead this family business. Also, the company debuts Liquid Color.
2003 – General Color sells their ceramic division and focuses exclusively on the production and support of plastic colorants.
2007 – The company refocuses its Liquid Color product line with new carrier technology.
2008 – General Color adds new compounds to its product line.
2009 – The company celebrates its 50th year of serving the plastic industry.
2018 – General Color celebrates 80 years of serving color to the World's industries.